If you run a small business, you’ve probably noticed how difficult it can be to manage time. However, as this article shows, there are several ways you can make the task of time management easier.
One of the main challenges when it comes to managing time is deciding what tasks to focus on. To help you prioritize your tasks for the day, try creating a list of all of your tasks. Then, identify which tasks absolutely must be completed by the end of the day, which ones can wait until tomorrow, and which ones can wait even longer than that. Complete the tasks in that order.
Another way to prioritize is to assess which activities will return the most value to your company, and then focus on those value-generating tasks. You can complete less valuable tasks as you have time for them, but in this setup, your focus will be on the money-making tasks.
Use the Latest Technology
Many new technologies can help you manage time more effectively. For instance, TechRadar.com recommends software options like these:
- FocusWriter, which helps writers hone in on the specific section of text they’re working on.
- Focus at Will, a custom playlist service that delivers productivity-boosting music.
- Simple Blocker, which blocks users from straying onto sites they want to avoid.
- RescueTime, a program that helps you identify websites and apps that steal your attention and time.
- Todoist, which sends users custom to-do lists.
Delegate and Share
One of the most effective ways you can manage time is by sharing the load. Many small business owners pride themselves on how much they can accomplish solo, but one of the best things you can do for yourself and your business is to stop trying to do everything yourself. Identify what your employees are good at, and then let them do it. And if you don’t yet have the resources to hire full-time help, consider using a freelancer.
Want to keep learning? Aspen Commercial Lending’s other blog posts are a great resource for more tips on the business world.